A History of Fendalton and North-West Christchurch
(Out of print)
260 x 185 mm, B&W & colour illustrations throughout
Fendalton is to Christchurch what Remuera is to Auckland or Khandallah is to Wellington. The suburb owes its name to a Yorkshireman who emigrated to Canterbury in 1851 and took up a large block of then swampy land bordering the Wairarapa Stream. 'Fendall's Town' was developed first as farmland and later as a residential area surrounded by the suburbs of Riccarton, Ilam, Bryndwr and Burnside. All these areas, making up northwestern Christchurch, enter into the story of the development of Christchurch's most fashionable suburb.
This book covers the whole story up to the present day, and is lavishly illustrated with maps, street plans, aerial photographs and pictures of people, houses and buildings &endash; many from private collections and never previously published. Major themes include education, churches, trees and parks, and prominent citizens such as Ngaio Marsh and Kate Sheppard.
It is the first book to describe the history of Fendalton and its immediate surrounds in such detail, and is a valuable addition to any Canterbury history collection.
Frieda Looser studied the history of Fendalton for her MA at the University of Canterbury. She has been tutoring in history for 11 years at the University of Canterbury and has given numerous, very popular lectures on this subject and other local history topics through the university's Centre for Continuing Education.